Centralized cloud storage services such as Microsoft Dropbox have become an integral part of our lives as well as business. But their developing control over clients and untrustworthy strategic policies have gone unchecked for quite a while. It has become a common practice for market leaders to access personal data through unauthorized means to generate higher profits at the cost of the security and privacy of their users as doing so goes directly against their business model. Sometimes the most popular option is not the best one and it is important to examine several alternatives to choose the service that is best for you.
How Microsoft Dropbox Fails to Meet Expectations
Microsoft Dropbox is based on a centralized architecture and inherits all the flaws that come with the system. The platform has been involved in numerous data breaches over the past few years and It is also considered a common target for malware and hackers who are familiar with the Microsoft ecosystem. The greatest cause concern, in any case, is how Microsoft has fine print clauses in its terms of service that allow them to access and share sensitive user data stored on their servers with employees and trusted “third parties”.
These are some events that highlight how unreliable Microsoft Dropbox is:
- Dropbox Data Breach of 2016 — Attackers exploited an improperly secured employee password to obtain data including email addresses and passwords from breached accounts that were created in 2012 or earlier. It is suspected that the details of 68M users were exposed and put up for sale on the dark web in this attack. (Source: theguardian.com)
- Dropbox Security Error 2011 — In 2011, an error in an update allowed anyone to access any Dropbox account in the system just with the email address and no passwords. It was fixed immediately on the same day but the update shouldn’t have gone live without testing (Source: techcrunch.com)
Why You Should Switch to StorX
StorX Drive is a blockchain-based decentralized cloud storage built with an emphasis on security and privacy at its core. We are committed to our users having sole ownership over their data and not any third party. Unlike legacy cloud storage providers, StorX divides your files into encrypted fragments and stores multiple copies of them across individual storage nodes around the world. This means that only you hold the keys to access your files and the highly redundant system means that even if multiple nodes fail to function, you can in any case retrieve all of your data.
These are some advantages of StorX over Microsoft Dropbox:
- More Secure and Private — Every file is encrypted and distributed across a decentralized network consisting of individual storage nodes. No outsider or third party has control over your files as only you hold the decryption keys to access your data.
- Highly Redundant and Reliable — StorX stores multiple copies of your files on nodes across the globe, eliminating any single point of failure, and promises you the highest uptime guaranteed.
- Cost-Effective — Storing your data on StorX costs substantially lower in contrast to centralized cloud storage services.
- 100% trustless — You will have sole ownership over your data rather than any third party.
- Open-Source — StorX believes in a transparent approach and the software utilized for the platform is completely open-source and developed by highly skillful and experienced software engineers.
StorX Drive is the next generation of cloud storage and is undeniably superior compared to Microsoft Dropbox and at a fraction of a cost because of its community-based decentralized design. If you believe that a more scalable and secure cloud is the right choice for you then you can register on storx.tech.